Since the invasion of Ukraine in February 2022, millions of people from the Ukraine have been forced to flee their country and seek refuge in different parts of the world. The Sudbury Local Immigration Partnership has been working with different organizations (including Ukrainian community-driven organizations) to identify available community resources and familiarize all those interested or impacted by the current situation in Ukraine about government responses to date.
Ukrainians have already begun to arrive in Canada and more will come. There is no exact number of how many displaced Ukrainian nationals will arrive to Greater Sudbury or when this will occur. We are working to get information on what the government measures mean in practice in terms of possible resettlement or settlement supports, income supports, etc.
Would you like to assist Ukrainian newcomers in Sudbury with housing, donations, storage, jobs and much more?
Please fill out the forms below (depending on your offer):
Are you offering housing? Please click here to provide information.
Would you like to donate? Click here to provide the details.
Do You have a storage space where we can store donations for Ukrainian newcomers? Click here to provide your information.
Are you offering a job for Ukrainian newcomers in Sudbury? Click here to provide the details.
Would you like to volunteer? Click here to provide your information.
Local community organization providing support
- YMCA of Northeastern Ontario Immigrant Services
- Sudbury Multicultural-Folk Arts Association
- College Boreal Settlement Services
- Public Health Sudbury & Districts
- Community Resource list
- Local community settlement support for Ukrainian war refugees coming to Canada
- Ukrainian Credit Union Limited
Ukrainian organizations in Greater Sudbury
Help via the Ukrainian Canadian Congress
- If you would like to know how to support Ukrainian Citizens arriving to Canada, please visit the Ukrainian Canadian Congress website. This organization will be able to suggest the different ways you can help by filling their “Assistance to Ukrainians affected by was in Ukraine form”. This form includes willingness to provide housing, transportation, financial donations, employment and much more.
- Dopomoha – Допомoга / Help Ukraine Toronto
Canadian Government Response
- Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) established a dedicated service channel for Ukraine enquiries that will be available both in Canada and abroad at 613-321-4243, with collect calls accepted. In addition, you can now add the keyword Ukraine2022 to the IRCC Web form with your questions and your email will be prioritized.You can read these details in Ukrainian (Українська) on the IRCC website.
- Ukraine settlement: Your first 2 weeks in Canada
- Flight information for Ukrainians
Help via the Ukrainian Diaspora Support Canada
For Displaced Ukrainian Citizens:
The Ukrainian Diaspora Support Canada helps Ukrainians displaced by war by providing many pre arrival services such as Visa Application Assistance, Canadian Host Matching (Ukrainian Intake Form), Flight Support (Flight Request Form) and much more.
Are you a Ukrainian trying to reach Canada?
Miles4Migrants has partnered with the Canadian government, Air Canada, and the Shapiro Foundation to launch the Ukraine2Canada Travel Fund. This fund will provide flights at no cost to Ukrainians so they can reach safe homes across Canada to begin rebuilding their lives.
For Canadians looking to help:
The Ukrainian Diaspora Support Canada has been accepting hosts requests and volunteerism request. If you are interested to host a family please complete the Canadian Intake Form. If you would like to volunteer with the Ukrainian Diaspora Support Canada as a volunteer, please complete the Volunteer Form.
Immigration Pathways (Federal Response)
The Government of Canada has announced two new streams for Ukrainians who want to come to Canada.
Canada-Ukraine Authorization for Emergency Travel (CUAET)
- The CUAET is a pathway for temporary residence and is not a refugee stream. There is no limit to the number of Ukrainians that can apply
- All Ukrainian nationals can apply and stay in Canada as temporary residents for up to 3 years with a free, open work permit
- Settlement Program services, which are typically only available to permanent residents, will soon be extended until March 31, 2023, for temporary residents in Canada eligible under CUAET
Special Reunification Sponsorship Pathway (permanent)
- For immediate and extended family members of Canadian citizens and permanent residents may want to start a new life in Canada. Find information about Family Sponsorship HERE.
Ukrainians who come as part of these measures may be eligible to apply for open work permits, making it easier for employers to quickly hire Ukrainian nationals.
IRCC will also issue open work permits to Ukrainian visitors, workers and students who are currently in Canada and cannot safely go home.
Submitting Visa Applications for Ukrainians to come to Canada:
Visa applications can be submitted online from anywhere in the world. Biometrics can be given at any visa application centre (VAC) outside of Ukraine. VACs are open in Moldova, Romania, Austria and Poland, and there is an extensive VAC network across Europe.
For more information on current information on these measures visit https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/ukraine-measures.html
Employment: The federal government has created a page through the Job Bank website called Jobs for Ukraine in which employers can post jobs specifically for Ukrainian workers.