The Tourism Development Fund was established by the Greater Sudbury Development Corporation (GSDC) for the purposes of promoting and growing the tourism industry in Greater Sudbury. The TDF direct funds for tourism marketing and product development opportunities and is managed by the GSDC’s Tourism Development Committee.
The Tourism Development Fund (TDF) is supported through funds collected annually by the City of Greater Sudbury through the Municipal Accommodation Tax (MAT).
It is recognized that in these unprecedented times there is a need to identify new opportunities to support the tourism industry. The aftermath of COVID-19 will frame a new normal. This program can be used to help support creative and innovative projects in the short to long term.
Grants are being considered for product development and major event bids or hosting. All projects must show broader community impact and should not solely increase the benefit of one organization.
For more information on eligibility please review the TDF Guidelines.
The Tourism Development Fund is open to for-profit, not-for-profit, public sector, private sector, and partnerships with the City of Greater Sudbury.
Applications will be assessed based on criteria to achieve the following results to grow tourism in Sudbury, where applicable:
- Increase in tourism visitation, overnight stays and visitor spending
- Generates economic impact from the project or event
- Provide positive regional, provincial, national or international exposure
- Enhance Sudbury’s tourism offering to attract visitors
- Strengthens Sudbury’s position as a destination
- Support or creation of direct and / or indirect jobs
Grant applications may be completed online though our Tourism Fund Application Portal .
There will be a continual intake of applications for the Fund. Preference will be given to events or projects that provide a 90-day window before the proposed start date.
- Review Greater Sudbury’s Tourism Strategy 2019-2023
- Learn more about our Economic Development Plan: From the Ground Up – A Community Economic Development Plan for Greater Sudbury
- You can learn more about the City of Greater Sudbury’s Municipal Accommodation Tax and how funds are being used in our community
- Visit the Tourism Industry Association of Ontario (TIAO) for a comprehensive list of Funding & Grant opportunities for the Tourism Sector